Friday, December 24, 2010

Nature's Best Photography: Windland Smith Rice International Awards

I am always excited when the latest issue of Nature's Best Photography magazine arrives in the mailbox.  When the Fall/Winter 2010 issue covering the Windland Smith Rice International Awards arrived yesterday, with all the activity of getting ready for Christmas, I just laid it on my chair side table and went on with other activities.  When I finally opened it this morning and began my inspection of each of the photographs I was in awe.  This is without a doubt, at least in my opinion, the best issue published to date.  The images were stunning!


My congratulations to all the winners of the contest.  I also want especially congratulate Cristina Mittermeier for being the Conservation Photographer of the Year.  Cristina is not only a NANPA member but is also the President of the International League of Conservation Photographers (www.ilcp.com).  There are other winners who are NANPA members that I know and I am sure there are other members I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting.  I can hopefully remedy that soon.  The NANPA members I do know in addition to Cristina include Wil Hershberger and Jeremy Woodhouse.


I am also appreciative of Nature's Best for their continuing recognition of the "Art" of nature photography along with their excellent support of conservation and environmental photography.  There unfortunately seems to be some occasional tension between those who think "Nature Photography" means environmental and conservation photography and those who see nature as the perfect subject to express their art in the form of photography.  My approach to supporting environmental issues with my photography is to show the beauty of the location or the animal with the hope that it will inspire people to help protect the ecosystem.  There are many ways to work for the protection of the environment.


Sandra Windland "Wendy" Smith Rice (1970 - 2005) was an accomplished nature photographer and, after winning an award in one of  the 1999 Nature's Best photography contests, began her association with the Natures Best Photography contest with her support in both time and financial contributions.  She was an tireless supporter of emerging nature photographers around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment